Who and What

My name is Hailey and my grandfather is a farmer. I'm the 7th generation to live on the family farm, and my babies (when the time comes) are going to be the 8th. My husband and I are even renovating a trailer on my grandparent's farm so we can move back to the family farm sooner. This blog encompasses the things that are important to me. These things are:

~Special Education
~ADHD, including my own battle with it over the years. It's now my superpower.
~Cooking
~Crafting
~Horses
~Farm Life
~Family
~Dogs
~Equal rights for women.
~Teaching
~Goal setting
~Fitness and health
~Financial Stability
~Reading
~Personal Happiness

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Songs That Tell My Life Story

Alabama, 2005? The dream team.
I'm doing my best to stay consistent with this, but some days I'm having too much fun to make it happen. I guess that's the best excuse anyone can give. Sometimes enjoying life takes first priority.

I've been listening to music a lot more this summer than I normally do. Actually, in general I listen to more music in the summertime. There's just something about having the windows down and the music cranked that says, summertime. As I've gone through my playlist, there have been a few songs that have resonated with me recently. Below are the top 10 songs that tell my life story.




  1. Meanwhile Back at Mama's, Tim McGraw and Faith Hill. This is basically the story of Brad and I moving out and coming back to the family farm two years later, as wells the way we live now. "Meanwhile, back at Mama's, porch light's on, come on in if you wanna. Supper's on the stove and beer's in the fridge. Red sun sinking low out on the ridge. 
  2. Here's to Us, Halestorm. This is the song I think of when I think of the friends that have become part of my family and what it meant for us to grow up. It reminds me of the hard times we survived by supporting each other. "Stuck it out this far together, Put our dreams through the shredder. Let’s toast cause things got better. And everything could change like that, and all these years go by so fast, but nothing lasts forever. Here's to us, Here's to love, All the times that we messed up. Here's to you, fill the glass, cause the last few nights have kicked my ass, so let's give em hell. Wish everybody well."
  3. Marry Me, Train. This is the song that reminds me most of Bradley. He loved me from the time I was fifteen years old, but he never said anything, although I knew. Eventually I came around, but I was nearly twenty when I did. That's a lot of patience on his part. "Love has surely shifted my way. Marry me, today and everyday. If I ever get the nerve to say hello in this cafe, say you will."
  4. She's On Her Way, Phil Vassar. This was what my father and I danced to at my wedding. I couldn't have asked for a better man to call my daddy. Honestly, I'd post all the lyrics to the song, because it's just so true for the relationship we had. However, I'll stick to my few favorite lines, which speaks of ponytails and make up. I recognize it is not the point of the song, but it makes me think of the many times he filled the role of horse show mom and dad for me, as my horse, Libby and I competed in countless horse shows. He would help me as best he could with wrestling my ponytail and Libby's into a suitable state and getting us both glammed up, then boost me into the saddle and watch me go. He also jumped many fences after some not so glamorous falls. "Off to school, down the drive, ponytail waves goodbye. She's the light and the love of your life. Then there's cars, and boys, all made up, no more toys, one day she's somebody's wife. She's on her way, she's on her road. Just yesterday, you were bringing her home. You'll watch her fall down, watch her grow up, she'll meet somebody, she'll fall in love." 
  5. Crushed and Created, Caitlyn Smith. Our little business is named for this song. It's about being stronger after challenges. "We are crushed and created, we are melted and made, we are broken and built up in the very same way. What I thought I could handle, what I thought I could take, what I thought would destroy me leaves me stronger in its wake."
  6. Just Another Day in Paradise, Phil Vassar. This song talks of life's daily challenges and surviving them with the one you love at your side. "It's OK, it's so nice, just another day in paradise. There's no place I'd rather be. Two hearts, one dream, wouldn't trade it for anything and I ask the lord, every night, for just another day in paradise. 
  7. Change, Taylor Swift. When Taylor Swift was first signed, it was by one of the smallest labels in Nashville. She wrote it after winning the Horizon award for Country Music in 2007, in that moment triumphing over the many obstacles set in front of her. I competed on the A Circuit of the American Morgan Horse Association from 2006-2011 (I plan to go back one Brad and I are debt free). Libby was twice the age of most of the other horses. I borrowed show clothing or bought it second hand. My saddle was a $500 barrel saddle. I was the only rider in my division with the good sense to wear a helmet, and it made me stick out. I had only sporadic instruction with a trainer. My competitors had a crew just to groom their horse, while my father and I did all of the cleaning, prep and horse care. Despite it all, Libby won a National title and many Regional ones as well. "So we've been outnumbered. Berated and now cornered. It's hard to fight when the fight ain't fair. We're getting stronger now, find things we never found. They might be bigger, but we're faster and never scared. You can walk away, say we don't need this. But there's something in your eyes says we can beat this."
  8. If Heaven, Andy Griggs. Admittedly, this is more a song about what comes after this life, but the first verse strikes a chord with me, because it describes the end to an amazing day on the farm perfectly. "If heaven was an hour, it would be twilight. When the fireflies start their dancing on the lawn. And supper's on the stove, and Mama's laughing. And everybody's working day is done. 
  9. Calling All Angels, Train. As a special education teacher, this song holds a lot of meaning for me. Sometimes the challenges that face me are daunting. But this song talks about calling for "angels" to help to create a better tomorrow, and how with help, there is hope. "I need a hand to help build up some hope inside of me. And I'm calling all angels, yeah I'm calling all you angels. I won't give up if you don't give up."
  10. Days Like This, Van Morrison. This as my first dance song. Sometimes life is hard, and nothing goes right. But some ordinary days are absolutely perfect and that is something to savor, and remember on the bad days. "Everything falls into place, like the flick of a switch. Well I must remember, there will be days like this."I've been lucky enough to have many of these recently. 

Do you have a personal anthem? What songs make up your story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment