Who and What

My name is Hailey and my grandfather is a farmer. I'm the 7th generation to live on the family farm, and my babies (when the time comes) are going to be the 8th. My husband and I are even renovating a trailer on my grandparent's farm so we can move back to the family farm sooner. This blog encompasses the things that are important to me. These things are:

~Special Education
~ADHD, including my own battle with it over the years. It's now my superpower.
~Cooking
~Crafting
~Horses
~Farm Life
~Family
~Dogs
~Equal rights for women.
~Teaching
~Goal setting
~Fitness and health
~Financial Stability
~Reading
~Personal Happiness

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

5 Adult Truths: Little Secrets I'm Learning Along the Way


I just (literally, about 5 minutes ago) finished reading Gretchen Rubin's second book, "Happiness at Home." In these books, Rubin discusses what she calls "Secrets for Adulthood," and "Splendid Truths." These are small things she has figured out along the way to help her lead a happier life. I find myself repeating hers or coming up with my own on a regular basis, so I thought I'd try making it a weekly staple in my blog. Some of these are quotes or thoughts I've read and heard, others are things that hit me in the shower or when driving down the road, and still others are tidbits of advice I've gotten from my friends and family over the years. So, here are my 5 Truths of this week:


  1. If you're going to be in pain anyways, you might as well go have fun. My mom used to say this to me after I got my braces tightened and didn't feel like doing much of anything. She never let me miss out on the fun stuff, just because my mouth hurt a little. I've been braces free for over ten years, but this still runs through my brain anytime I am considering backing out of something fun for a lame excuse. 
  2. If you make it convenient it's easier to do. This applies to both things you should be doing and things you shouldn't be doing. If you have enough workout clothes to keep you from having to do extra laundry to ensure you have exercise clothing, you're not going to use that as an excuse. Additionally, if you're trying to eat better, eliminating junk food and precooking healthy casseroles to take to work can make it a lot easier. On that note, I really need to buy some more workout clothes and start prepping frozen meals for back to school. 
  3. Hang up, shut down, turn it off. One of the reasons I had such an amazing weekend last week was because I was blissfully disconnected. And guess what, THE WORLD DIDN'T END! I left my phone in the car, skipped checking my e-mail and watched no TV until Sunday night when Brad and I sat down together. Best of all, those around me weren't on their phones much either, which allowed us to enjoy our time together. 
  4. The earlier you do it, the sooner you can cross it off your list. I am strange, or so I am told, because I get up early every morning before work and put in an hour or so of time into chores, running our small business, Krushed and Kreated, or just to enjoy some quiet time to myself. I love getting to cross something off my list before the rest of the world has even rolled out of bed. And best of all, 4am is a wonderfully quiet time of day. 
  5. Doing a little at a time of something will eventually get it done. When I did my Justing Morgan project for the American Morgan Horse Association, (a tremendous undertaking) I broke it down into VERY small chunks. I did a little almost every week for two years. It took a lot of time, patience, and at times I wanted to tear my hair out, but breaking it down in this way allowed me to have a lot of success very quickly. It kept me motivated.  This is the principle behind many other plans I like, including the Dave Ramsey Total Money Makeover, which we are now using to work our way out of debt. 
Everyone has little tips and tricks they learn along the way. They keep us sane and get us through even the toughest days. What are some of your truths? 



No comments:

Post a Comment