Who and What

My name is Hailey and my grandfather is a farmer. I'm the 7th generation to live on the family farm, and my babies (when the time comes) are going to be the 8th. My husband and I are even renovating a trailer on my grandparent's farm so we can move back to the family farm sooner. This blog encompasses the things that are important to me. These things are:

~Special Education
~ADHD, including my own battle with it over the years. It's now my superpower.
~Cooking
~Crafting
~Horses
~Farm Life
~Family
~Dogs
~Equal rights for women.
~Teaching
~Goal setting
~Fitness and health
~Financial Stability
~Reading
~Personal Happiness

Monday, July 28, 2014

The 52 Lists Project: My greatest comforts.


Everyone has things they find comfort in. Jane Austen said, "There is nothing like staying home for real comfort." Comfort is in the small things that we find safety in, the tiny actions in which we have certainty, and the places we feel we fit into. Continuing off of my 52 lists from last week, this week my list is on 52 things I find comfort in. 
  1. The way my kitchen smells as I am baking. Currently I am catching whiffs of zucchini bread, made from my family's recipe. The aroma of cinnamon is enough to fill you with a warmth that makes you melt with happiness.
  2. Crawling into a bed covered in cool, clean sheets. Is there any greater luxury?
  3. Listening to music that takes me home, no matter where I am. For me this is usually a country song, but every now and then Rod Stewart or Springsteen gets thrown into the mix.
  4. A fire in the fireplace on a cold day. 
  5. Curling up with Brad and watching a movie before bed. 
  6. Baking, and the knowledge that if you follow a recipe, you will get the desired finished product.
  7. Reading a good book and getting entirely lost in it. 
  8. The sound of my sewing machine.
  9. Warm socks.
  10. The part of the day when the animals are fed, dinner is on the stove, and I can completely relax. 
  11. Lists, that give a sense of order to my life. 
  12. Watching funny TV shows. 
  13. Being able to figure things out. 
  14. Looking at old photos.
  15. Being outside on a nice day.
  16. Hula hooping.
  17. Writing
  18. Laying out my clothing.
  19. Sitting with a dog's head on my lap. 
  20. The sound of rain on the roof. 
  21. Planning things out.
  22. The weight of heavy blankets.
  23. Writing out my thoughts. 
  24. The smells of my childhood home: coffee, fresh cut grass and the pear lotion from Victoria's Secret that my mom always wore. 
  25. Spending time with friends when no one is on their phone.
  26. Hot tea with milk and honey. 
  27. Living next door to my grandparents and across the street from my parents. 
  28. Disney movies.
  29. Books on tape. 
  30. Time spent at the library.
  31. Having everything at home organized and well kept. 
  32. Fresh laundry from the dryer. 
  33. An extremely hot shower.
  34. The smell of rosemary. 
  35. Hugs from people I care about. 
  36. Knowing I taught a really good lesson to my students.
  37. A tangle free mane and tail on my horse.
  38. Clothing that fits.
  39. Being prepared.
  40. A pile of books to read. 
  41. Small acts that restore my faith in humanity. 
  42. Knowing that a thriving plant can grow from a tiny seed. 
  43. Soup.
  44. Food that can be made in the crockpot.
  45. A great bargain, couponing, or working to find excellent sales. 
  46. A good night's sleep. 
  47. Exercise.
  48. Riding bareback and feeling the warmth of the horse against your legs. 
  49. High quality chocolate. 
  50. Sharing excitement with my family. 
  51. Being financially stable. 
  52. Having good teachers. 
What things do you find comfort in? 

No comments:

Post a Comment