Who and What

My name is Hailey and my grandfather is a farmer. I'm the 7th generation to live on the family farm, and my babies (when the time comes) are going to be the 8th. My husband and I are even renovating a trailer on my grandparent's farm so we can move back to the family farm sooner. This blog encompasses the things that are important to me. These things are:

~Special Education
~ADHD, including my own battle with it over the years. It's now my superpower.
~Cooking
~Crafting
~Horses
~Farm Life
~Family
~Dogs
~Equal rights for women.
~Teaching
~Goal setting
~Fitness and health
~Financial Stability
~Reading
~Personal Happiness

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

A Dose of Reality: 5 Truths of Being a New Teacher

Since blogging every day has been difficult, I thought I'd try a few shorter posts here in the mix. One of my personal goals this month is to consistently tell the truth, even when it isn't as shiny and pretty as I'd like it to be. I thought I'd do a mini series of blogs this month called "5 Truths," and each time I'll posts 5 truths about some aspect of my life or another. Today's topic: being a new teacher.


  1. You will lose sleep. Lots and lots of sleep. Everyone talks about how hard college and grad school are, but I slept during those (my social life wasn't much to speak of, but that's another topic). I have slept less in the last month than any other part of my life, excluding last year when the meds they put me on for CPS gave me crazy insomnia. 
  2. You will adore your students and coworkers. You may even adore your boss. Paperwork, however, is a monster that grows quietly and preys on new teachers, sucking out their souls. 
  3. You will be asked to teach things you haven't though about or used since you finished the grade you are being asked to teach it to. You will make mistakes. Use them to grow and to help your students grow. 
  4. There will be days where nothing, literally, nothing, makes it out of your mouth correctly. Laugh at yourself and move on.
  5. Sometimes a ridiculous backup plan will keep you sane. Face it, there are days where you just feel like running for the hills, and you can't help but ask, what the heck did I get myself into. Have a backup life plan, preferably one that is slightly ridiculous while still being semi reminiscent of something you could actually do. For example: my backup plan is to become an artisan hippie. I will perfect my rock climbing and hula hooping skills, get certified as a fitness instructor, and sell my crafts like a maniac. 
Anything you'd like to tell or hear the truth about? Share away! 

No comments:

Post a Comment