Who and What

My name is Hailey and my grandfather is a farmer. I'm the 7th generation to live on the family farm, and my babies (when the time comes) are going to be the 8th. My husband and I are even renovating a trailer on my grandparent's farm so we can move back to the family farm sooner. This blog encompasses the things that are important to me. These things are:

~Special Education
~ADHD, including my own battle with it over the years. It's now my superpower.
~Cooking
~Crafting
~Horses
~Farm Life
~Family
~Dogs
~Equal rights for women.
~Teaching
~Goal setting
~Fitness and health
~Financial Stability
~Reading
~Personal Happiness

Monday, November 17, 2014

52 Lists Project, Week 11: Cultural Events I'd Like to Experience

Photo from: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/india/images. 
This is the time of year in elementary schools where we attempt to teach children about the various Christmas/Holiday traditions of people around the world. It's a fun time of year, and a fun set of subjects to teach. However, it often makes me realize that I personally lack awareness with regard to many other cultures, both in my knowledge of Christmas traditions as well as other cultural events, including some within the US. Here is a list of cultural events I would like to partake in over the course of my lifetime. And yes, many of them are horsey, but this blog isn't called "The Farmer's Granddaughter" for nothing.

  1. A traditional Mardi Gras celebration. I don't really care to catch any beads, but the music, costumes and food definitely hold appeal. 
  2. The pony swim on Chincoteague and Assateague island in Virginia. 
  3. The Kentucky Derby. I've seen Preakness, but the Run for the Roses has a flavor all it's own.
  4. The Summer Olympics. 
  5. An Eastern culture's traditional wedding. 
  6. Run a marathon. And yes, this is a cultural event, because any runner will tell you that runners have a culture. 
  7. Go see the Grand National Steeplechase (Think National Velvet). 
  8. Go on a safari in Africa. 
  9. Go on a fox hunt. 
  10. Ride in Mongolia. 
  11. A cross country road trip. 
  12. New York Fashion Week
  13. Swim with dolphins. (Not sure this totally qualifies as cultural but it's definitely on my list.) 
  14. Celebrate Hanukkah. 
  15. Celebrate Day of the Dead. 
  16. Write on Juliet's wall in Verona. 
  17. Use an elephant as a mode of transportation. 
  18. Go to the Fairy Pools in Scotland. 
  19. Camp on the beach. 
  20. Go to a floating lantern festival. 
  21. See the Great Barrier Reef in Australia. 
  22. Take a wine tour in Italy.
  23. Visit the Coliseum. 
  24. See all the Cirque show in Vegas.
  25. See a musical on Broadway. 
  26. Do a really crazy hike or mountain climb. 
  27. Backpack through Europe. 
  28. Take a ghost tour. 
  29. Attend a luau in Hawaii
  30. Visit a castle. 
  31. Take a horseback tour of Ireland.
  32. Drink in an Irish pub. 
  33. Stay in an Italian Villa.
  34. Go on a fitness retreat. 
  35. Become fluent in sign language. 
  36. Travel somewhere by train. 
  37. Celebrate St. Lucia's Day in Sweden. 
  38. Attend a Masquerade Ball. 
  39. Spend a week in Paris. 
  40. Participate in a mud run. 
  41. Participate in a glow run. 
  42. Oktoberfest 
  43. Visit China.
  44. Visit Japan.
  45. Visit a rainforest. 
  46. Spend a week in Greece. 
  47. Whale watch.
  48. Attempt snorkeling. 
  49. Attend a film festival. 
  50. Attend the Rolex. 
  51. Stay in a really unique hotel. 
  52. See the Seven Wonders. 
What's on your cultural experience bucket list? 

No comments:

Post a Comment