Who and What

My name is Hailey and my grandfather is a farmer. I'm the 7th generation to live on the family farm, and my babies (when the time comes) are going to be the 8th. My husband and I are even renovating a trailer on my grandparent's farm so we can move back to the family farm sooner. This blog encompasses the things that are important to me. These things are:

~Special Education
~ADHD, including my own battle with it over the years. It's now my superpower.
~Cooking
~Crafting
~Horses
~Farm Life
~Family
~Dogs
~Equal rights for women.
~Teaching
~Goal setting
~Fitness and health
~Financial Stability
~Reading
~Personal Happiness

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Charity on a Budget: 10 Ways to Give When You're Low on Funds

I love the idea of giving to a cause, but here's the bottom line. My husband and I are a little tight on funds. That isn't to say we're broke or struggling to get by. On the contrary, we are reasonably comfortable. However, we are also on a plan to be debt free by the time we're both 28, and seeing as that's only 4 short years away, we don't exactly have the extra dollar to throw at every charity that we pass. So instead, we have come up with other ways to be giving. Here are 10 things we've done as a way to give back, without pulling out our wallets.


  1. I'm a crafter, and I sew quite a bit. I save the scraps from every single project and turn these into wreathes, which I then sell and use a portion of the proceeds to support worthy causes. Most recently I've sent a few dollars to a friend trying to adopt a little boy from Eastern Europe. It's not much but every little bit helps. 
  2. The other thing I do with scraps, particularly the larger ones, is sew them into quilts. I then donate these to Project Linus, which takes blankets to children in crisis. This is also a project I've done with my classroom for the last two years, and plan to do again this year.
  3. I'm an animal lover, so I will, on occasion, go to the animal shelter and walk the dogs or simply play with them and give them some loving. I haven't done this in a while, and it's one I want to get back to in the not too distant future. 
  4. I get my students involved in service projects. I've helped them make cookies for the homeless, cards for nursing homes, and shoebox care kits for tornado victims. 
  5. If we aren't using it, we donate it to the DAV or Goodwill. If it's still got life stretched out of it, we don't throw it away.
  6. Volunteer time with youth. There are so many ways to do this, that you're bound to find one that's fun for you. I'm currently volunteering as an assistant coach for Girls on the Run, a local program designed to promote health, wellness and self esteem in girls.
  7. If you travel a lot, ask for a few extra shampoo bottles each time you go. Take these to your local women's shelter. 
  8. Make it your mission to spend a day doing random acts of kindness. Hold doors, be a polite driver, return library books for an elderly neighbor, take cookies to the fire station. Just spend the day being as nice as possible. 
  9. Take notice of need. A friend of mine recently took coloring books and crayons to the ER, along with books her kids had outgrown, because she had noticed when she was there with a friend that there was nothing to keep kids entertained. 
  10. Include someone going through a hard time in your family dinner. 
What are some other inexpensive ways to give back? 

No comments:

Post a Comment