Who and What

My name is Hailey and my grandfather is a farmer. I'm the 7th generation to live on the family farm, and my babies (when the time comes) are going to be the 8th. My husband and I are even renovating a trailer on my grandparent's farm so we can move back to the family farm sooner. This blog encompasses the things that are important to me. These things are:

~Special Education
~ADHD, including my own battle with it over the years. It's now my superpower.
~Cooking
~Crafting
~Horses
~Farm Life
~Family
~Dogs
~Equal rights for women.
~Teaching
~Goal setting
~Fitness and health
~Financial Stability
~Reading
~Personal Happiness

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Life with Only 15 Things: A Consideration


I was on Pinterest the other day looking for blog inspiration, when I cam across the image of a man who supposedly only owns 15 things, other than his undergarments. My first thought was, wonder how they're calculating things? I mean, if he buys toilet paper for his apartment, technically he owns the toilet paper so does that count? And my second thought was, dang, that guy must do laundry every other day. But my random ramblings and curiosities aside, it did get me to wondering what I would choose if I could own only 15 things.

First and foremost, let me explain how I am defining 15 things. First of all, I am not counting my jewelry. If you count all the pieces of jewelry I wear as individual pieces, that's nine things, and I never take it off or put new on, so I almost feel it doesn't count. Secondly, I am not counting anything that is rapidly disposable. Shampoo, soap, toilet paper, not counting it. Anything with a soul of it's own, like my dogs, not counting them, or their belongings. As far as I'm concerned, those guys are separate entities. There are probably other things I'm not factoring in, but let's just go with it for the moment. If I could only have 15 things, here is what I THINK I would choose.


  1. My stuffed animal, Clowndog, that I've had since infancy. Yeah, that thing is not going anywhere. He's worn out and pitiful and I don't care. I would actually be fairly traumatized if he were to become irreparably lost and damaged, probably illogically so. 
  2. My dad's Lynchburg College shirt. It's ridiculously soft, older than I am, and my favorite thing to sleep in. I may be a clothes horse, but that one will never get thrown out. 
  3. My High Spirits farm baseball cap. My husband had it made for me before we even started dating, and it's a reminder to me that he believed in our dream from day one. 
  4. My computer. Maybe it's tacky to choose a piece of technology, but my computer allows me to reach out to the world in a constructive way. 
  5. At least one pair of pink cowboy boots. I'm not fussy over which pair, I just want to always have one. They're part of my identity. 
  6. My sewing machine. I find using it to be cathartic and relaxing, so I'd be very hesitant to give that up. 
  7. My piggy bank, which is significant for two reasons. One, Brad and I each made one on one of our first dates and two, they represent how tiny savings can add up to big things, which is one of our core beliefs. 
  8. My Virginia Tech sweatshirt that my grandfather pulled off his own back to give me the day I got accepted. I don't think I've ever seen him so proud. 
  9. Any super comfortable pair of jeans that make my butt look fabulous. I have a few, and I'm not choosy as to which one, I just know I need a pair. 
  10. The t-shirt quilt my mother and I made together when I was getting ready to go to college. 
  11. A pair of footie pajamas, which Brad buys me every year around my birthday or Christmas, but always in between, so he can say it was just because. 
  12. The roofing shingle that came off of the roof at my mother's office and was painting with our wedding symbol by my mother's best friend, Juanita. 
  13. My mother's box of wishes for me that she gave to me on my wedding day.
  14. The silver dollar that my father gave me to carry in the pocket of my wedding dress the night of my rehearsal dinner. 
  15. My wedding box, which is technically more than one thing, but contains memories of so much love, I cannot begin to decide which parts are the most important.
As I look at these things written down, I realize it is fairly reflective of my values. Enough clothing to keep warm and a lot of loving memories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment