Who and What

My name is Hailey and my grandfather is a farmer. I'm the 7th generation to live on the family farm, and my babies (when the time comes) are going to be the 8th. My husband and I are even renovating a trailer on my grandparent's farm so we can move back to the family farm sooner. This blog encompasses the things that are important to me. These things are:

~Special Education
~ADHD, including my own battle with it over the years. It's now my superpower.
~Cooking
~Crafting
~Horses
~Farm Life
~Family
~Dogs
~Equal rights for women.
~Teaching
~Goal setting
~Fitness and health
~Financial Stability
~Reading
~Personal Happiness

Thursday, January 15, 2015

The First Few Books of the New Year: A Brief Overview

I started this mission to read 100 books this year, and I think I'm doing pretty well so far. Two down and two in progress, thanks, in part to audiobooks. I even found a new app, called Hoopla, that allows you to borrow audiobooks from your local library for free and download them to your phone. So far they have 10 of the books on my list. Money saved and easier reading gained. Sweet! Here's what I've read or am in the process of reading so far:



  1. Pride and Prejudice. I'd never read this before, and I really am yet to meet any literature from this era I'm a huge fan of. But I listened to it on audiobook, and while it wasn't my favorite thing in the world, it certainly had a few points of interest and humor. I'm glad to have experienced it, but I don't think it's going to make the top 10 list for books I read in 2015. 
  2. The Dark Side of Disney. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but this wasn't it. It was essentially a guidebook for getting deals that, while not illegal, were somewhat questionable. There were some bits about seeing parts of Disney that are generally off limits to tourists, as well as the mention of drugs and which rides you should try high. On the whole it was kind of trashy and I wasn't impressed, although it does have me wanting to plan a Disney vacation. 
  3. The Secret History of Wonder Woman. This has been my favorite so far. It give the history of Wonder Woman's creator, his connection to the feminist movement, and the unique lifestyle he lived behind closed doors. Well written and thorough, this helps me appreciate my favorite super hero on an even deeper level. 
  4. Black Beauty. I think the last time I read this was in middle school. Reading it as an adult, I appreciate even more that Sewell was attempting to give animals a voice and encourage their fair treatment. 
So, 4 (sort of) down, 96 to go. I think I can, I think I can...

No comments:

Post a Comment