Who and What

My name is Hailey and my grandfather is a farmer. I'm the 7th generation to live on the family farm, and my babies (when the time comes) are going to be the 8th. My husband and I are even renovating a trailer on my grandparent's farm so we can move back to the family farm sooner. This blog encompasses the things that are important to me. These things are:

~Special Education
~ADHD, including my own battle with it over the years. It's now my superpower.
~Cooking
~Crafting
~Horses
~Farm Life
~Family
~Dogs
~Equal rights for women.
~Teaching
~Goal setting
~Fitness and health
~Financial Stability
~Reading
~Personal Happiness

Friday, December 12, 2014

F is for… Farmer's Granddaughter Fashion: 17 Things I have to Consider Before Getting Dressed in the Morning


Most people, when deciding what to wear in the morning may glance a the weather, but beyond that, most don't put tons of thought into it. But my world is a little different, partially because I wear so many different hats (proverbial) throughout my week. Getting dressed for me takes a little more than the average in terms of planning. Here are 27 things I take into at least brief consideration before getting dressed in the morning.

  1. What's the weather like today? However, I'm not just looking for hot or cold. The animals need care whether it's nice or not, so I have to consider rain, mud and wind as well. Mud kills most dress shoes like nobody's business. 
  2. What day of the week is it? On Fridays I'm allowed to wear jeans to my regular job, on Sundays I work a nursery shift at the church, on Tuesdays I can dress up a little more because my friend Kelly takes care of the horses.
  3. Will I have time to go home and change before X? Sometimes I have to choose two different outfits if the answer is no. 
  4. Is it shedding season for the horses? If so, it's pretty much cotton all the way, since there its about the only thing horse hair doesn't stick to dramatically. 
  5. It it slobbering season for the horses? When they eat clover they drool more, and it's very, very green. Anything light colored goes away for a few weeks. 
  6. Is there a chance I will be low on time and need to exercise in my work clothes? 
  7. Do I have an IEP meeting today? If yes, then a blazer and collared shirt are absolutely necessary. 
  8. Are all my students on their meds? This is less of an issue now than it was at my last job, but I have no desire to have my ankle twisted or my necklace broken during a child's meltdown. 
  9. Am I being observed today. If so then I put on heels. It's silly but they give me that added boost of confidence. 
  10. Will my long johns fit under this/coveralls fit over this? In the colder months, these extras are how I survive. 
  11. Is it a school spirit day? If so, bring on the crazy outfits and tutus. 
  12. Has my classroom been running warm or cold? Ahh, the joys of working in a public school. Very sporadic with the temperatures in the classroom. 
  13. Is there any way this outfit could get me in trouble? I have worn plenty of things to the school I thought were innocent and gotten in trouble for it. Not at my new job, but definitely at my last school. The last time it was for a cowl neck sweater. What was the deal, I was showing too much neck?
  14. Am I likely to get stepped on by a horse today? If so boots are the order of the day. 
  15. Do I have to lesson plan? Bring on the sweat pants. 
  16. Does this fit? Does anyone else have the problem where something is too tight one wear and too loose the next? What the heck?
  17. In the summer months, I ask myself, particularly when working with kids, if this gets wet, will it be a problem?
What do you consider when choosing your clothes for the day? 

No comments:

Post a Comment