Who and What

My name is Hailey and my grandfather is a farmer. I'm the 7th generation to live on the family farm, and my babies (when the time comes) are going to be the 8th. My husband and I are even renovating a trailer on my grandparent's farm so we can move back to the family farm sooner. This blog encompasses the things that are important to me. These things are:

~Special Education
~ADHD, including my own battle with it over the years. It's now my superpower.
~Cooking
~Crafting
~Horses
~Farm Life
~Family
~Dogs
~Equal rights for women.
~Teaching
~Goal setting
~Fitness and health
~Financial Stability
~Reading
~Personal Happiness

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

#LoveMe Day 3, A Word that Describes Me

   
Covered in my GOTR name "Hardworking Hailey" at GOTR training.


I recently signed on to coach a Girls on the Run team. For those of you that don't know, Girls on the Run is a program for girls in 3rd-5th grade that uses running as a tool to teach girls about lifelong health and fitness, as well as self esteem and respect for others. So far, it's been really fun. Anyway, a few weeks ago I went to coaches training to help me to better understand the program. As part of one of the activities, we had to come up with a Girls on the Run name and were instructed to choose an adjective that begins with the same letter as our first name that describes us. It took me about 5 seconds to write down Hardworking Hailey. Everyone wrote down everyone else's GOTR name, and then we played a game where we ran laps while finding everyone on our list. It was like getting patted on the back for who I was.

I'm not always sure of myself, but I am sure of one thing. I am a hard worker and I always have been. I have had lots of advantages in my life. To say otherwise would be to mislead you. My parents are supportive, I have always had financial stability, and my extended family is helpful and kind. I have been blessed with many good friends and a wonderful husband. But many things have not come easily to me.

In second grade I was diagnosed with ADHD. I have always had to work harder in school than those around me, but I was willing and I made good grades. A few teachers looked at me and saw only my label. Most of them eventually changed their minds, once they saw how much effort I put forth, but a few were unconvinced. The worst of these told me she would be surprised to see me finish high school.  Not only did I finish high school, but I got my BA in Interdisciplinary studies with minors in English, History and Animal Science, and my M.Ed. in Special Education. During that time I also showed horses competitively, worked part or full time (depending on the year and my course load), and found several other ways to earn money.

Today I am proud to still be a hard worker. I teach Special Education, work in a church nursery on Sunday morning, take care of three horses and two dogs, and am working with my husband to turn our farm into a profitable business venture. It will take lots more sweat, but I'm proud of being willing to work so hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment